Skip to main content

The forgotten Spanish Town


The first thing that pops into the mind of most people when I think about Spanish Town, Jamaica is crime and violence. Majority of the times when you tell people that you are from Spanish Town they automatically assume that you are caught up in some form of illegal activities. Starting high school I was told that since I'm from Spanish Town I must have seen people being killed or I must have bad man friends. The same label followed me to university as well and the sad part of it all is I just got used to it. 

  I attended the St.Catherine primary school in the heart of the capital and had to deal with the crime and violence several times. It grew with me until the point where it didn't move me at all. The fact that I attended high school and university in Kingston meant that I had to travel late hours at night. The fear was always with me as I didn't have any friends who lived in the same community as I did. However, I overcame it all and grew to become accepting of the community in which I was born and raised.

Those on the outside looking in on Spanish Town need to know that there is also another side to Spanish town. There are ambitious young people here, schools that are doing very well and parents that are raising exceptional children. There is also the historical side of Spanish Town that is also very important to the overall history of the country. However, our government and people insists on only dwelling on the negative sides of the town. Despite just dwelling on the negative sides they have done little or nothing to rebuild the broken down infrastructure within the town.  Perhaps if the town looked more appealing it would attract more investors and positive messages coming out of the town.

I have lived in Spanish Town for over 23 years and it wasn't until recently that I toured my town and looked at the beauty that is hidden behind the scars of years of crime and violence. These images attached with this post will show you what Spanish Town used to look like. A town fit for royalty but instead of preserving its strong heritage we have allowed the history to remain only in books. Take some time to study the history of your town and find something there to smile about.












All images are copyrighted SaccheenLaing2015 (DONOTCOPY)

Comments

Donate

Popular posts from this blog

TVJ Schools' Challenge Quiz Prizes

The buzzer ignited the excitement in my veins for many years. I grew up watching TVJ Schools' Challenge Quiz and I saw it as a means of once again unifying the nation through friendly rivalry. As the years rolled by things started to change and the blatant favouritism could be seen coming from our television screens. The power of some of the more prominent high schools would allow them to end up in the winning circle. Apart from the fun element turning into some what of a war each year, what has changed drastically is the awarding of the various prizes at the end. Throughout the years we could expect to see students from some of the participating schools coming forward to collect their various prizes at the end of the competition. We looked forward to hearing what the students would be awarded for their hard workout throughout the season. Apparently, this was deemed to be too much of a problem to broadcast so it was eliminated completely. All we see now is the winner collecti

This World

  A world where people don't love you if you can't supply them with all the material things they need. A world where people marry just to get citizenship in a country. A world where the most educated aren't the ones given the best of jobs. A world where the television and internet are left to teach our children values. A world where the leaders of the church spend more money on church buildings tha n feeding the poor. A world where children receive guns before they receive a book to read. A world where in one half of the world people fight for an apple to eat while in the other we pick,choose and refuse what to eat. A world where we cry when we have no new clothes or shoes but some have never felt the warmth of a shirt and pants on their cold flesh. A world where politicians get increases in pay while the citizens are placed on wage freeze for years. A world where everybody proclaims they can't trust anybody. A world where girls value are always occupied with their look

Feeling Behind in Life & Not Having it Together in my 30's