Skip to main content

Loving a black man that doesn't love me

Image source: Google Images


His beautiful dark skin made rich from the earth, his physical strength supporting where I am physically weak, his beautiful smile and then the depth of his speech. In a world where the wrongs that he has done is spoken about more frequently than what is good about him. I see the beauty in black unions,I see the beauty in black souls connecting, I see beauty in being by his side. The issue is, he no longer sees beauty in me. We walk paths these days paved with the broken connections. Couples who once professed to be so deeply in love now pretend to not know each other. We walk paths  where you can pour the purest of love into the vessel of a man/woman and they remain empty.

On one side, we have black men who believe that black women have lost their worth. They have lost the meaning of what it means to be a Queen. The black man believes that the black woman has wrapped herself in the labels that society has placed on her. The black woman is often viewed as loud, promiscuous, unprogressive and uneducated.It is bad enough that this is so widely accepted but the fact that black men have accepted this, is what is so troubling.

On the other side, we have black women who believe that black men have lost their worth. They have lost the meaning of what it means to be a King. The black woman believes that the black man has wrapped himself in the labels that society has placed on him.The black man is often viewed as promiscuous, unprogressive,uneducated, unsupportive and violent. It is bad enough that this is so widely accepted but the fact that black women have accepted this, is what is so troubling.

What we have here is the acceptance of the label of the insignificant one. This brings me back to the title of my blog. Let me share a story with you. I met a beautiful black man with the most beautiful smile. He was the poster boy for tall, dark and handsome. We got to know each other and over time his character started to appear as beautiful as his physical beauty. However, the troubling side of it was that he always seemed to want me to appear more Eurocentric. He didn't delight in my fro, in my discourses about my African culture. I loved this man for the side of him that I saw that he couldn't but there was no way he could truly love me without loving the  black  within me.I would never lighten my blackness to let a little love from him in. I would never  stop finding love in my African culture so I could wake up to his smile every morning. I would never stop loving him but it became hard to show him the beauty in his blackness if he couldn't see it in a black woman. He had simply accepted that the black woman was inferior and therefore he would always see her as such. There is so much to love about the black man. However, what you must realize is that a black man will never see beauty in a black woman if he doesn't see the beauty in his own black skin. You can assist in a black man in finding his own self love but you can't make him accept it.You have to let him prepare himself to be loved by a woman who mirrors the source of his life.

Comments

Donate

Popular posts from this blog

TVJ Schools' Challenge Quiz Prizes

The buzzer ignited the excitement in my veins for many years. I grew up watching TVJ Schools' Challenge Quiz and I saw it as a means of once again unifying the nation through friendly rivalry. As the years rolled by things started to change and the blatant favouritism could be seen coming from our television screens. The power of some of the more prominent high schools would allow them to end up in the winning circle. Apart from the fun element turning into some what of a war each year, what has changed drastically is the awarding of the various prizes at the end. Throughout the years we could expect to see students from some of the participating schools coming forward to collect their various prizes at the end of the competition. We looked forward to hearing what the students would be awarded for their hard workout throughout the season. Apparently, this was deemed to be too much of a problem to broadcast so it was eliminated completely. All we see now is the winner collecti

This World

  A world where people don't love you if you can't supply them with all the material things they need. A world where people marry just to get citizenship in a country. A world where the most educated aren't the ones given the best of jobs. A world where the television and internet are left to teach our children values. A world where the leaders of the church spend more money on church buildings tha n feeding the poor. A world where children receive guns before they receive a book to read. A world where in one half of the world people fight for an apple to eat while in the other we pick,choose and refuse what to eat. A world where we cry when we have no new clothes or shoes but some have never felt the warmth of a shirt and pants on their cold flesh. A world where politicians get increases in pay while the citizens are placed on wage freeze for years. A world where everybody proclaims they can't trust anybody. A world where girls value are always occupied with their look

Feeling Behind in Life & Not Having it Together in my 30's