Skip to main content

Ten Misconceptions About Depression In Jamaicans That Had Gone Way Too Far.

Firstly, let me not mislead you. I won't be listing out misconceptions but I will be discussing depression in Jamaica, based on my own experiences.Is it wrong to say, "I am depressed"? It often feels that way. As young people, what should we really have to be depressed about? I can truthfully say that I have struggled with depression on and off from my childhood but due to the stigma attached to depression, especially in young people, I kept quiet. I suffered in silence until it became unbearable. Then, I opened up. When I started to open up, I was mocked, told I was too weak, and that I wasn't trying hard enough to make my life better. Speaking up, could send you into an even deeper depression. 

What happens? We become even more withdrawn or in some cases it manifests itself into anger and we damage relationships and friendships. What about family? Ideally family should be the first source of comfort and understanding but that often isn't the case. Parents themselves turn a blind eye to depression or simply downplay its severity. What do we do? We continue to live in a world that gives us daily reasons as to why we shouldn't. We fight internal battles while we paint on faces of togetherness. We are constantly tired because we have to masks our struggles as a means of protecting our already vulnerable situations. Social media is an escape but it is also a hindrance to betterment. On one side we see other young people with similar struggles and on the other side we see young people who seem to have never dipped their feet in the pool of depression. We tend to focus more on the second side and what happens? We become even more depressed. 

How does one survive as a depressed young Jamaican?

 For me, I take time out of each day to evaluate, reflect and re purpose. What does this mean? It means that you have to find a way to escape to rediscover self and purpose. This evaluation should be independent on not dependent on any other human being. You have to spend this time with yourself to work on yourself. One of the most important things to do is to find your passion. My passion has saved me and continues to save me. When you find something that you are passionate about, it allows you to centre yourself in a more positive life. Most importantly, you have to accept that some Jamaicans will never try or want to understand what it is like to be depressed.

 How do you escape depression permanently?

 I don't believe that you escape depression permanently. I believe that you have to learn to live with and through it. It is natural to have moments of depression. It is natural to feel defeated and at a stand still. I allow myself a hour at the end of each week to meditate on the week that has ended and to re purpose for the week to come. The words will hurt. The misunderstandings will hurt. The lackadaisical attitude will hurt. You have to find a space to find space within it all. This isn't a race to see how quickly you can overcome. This isn't a story for you to have the most motivational experience to share at the end. Take your time and discover what brings you, your own peace. Therapy is a bad word in Jamaica! Can we get over it already! Normalize speaking to a therapist! Normalize getting help! Not everyone can figure it out on their own nor is there any proven argument that says that you must figure it out on your own. Speak to a professional who will provide you with the help that be more specific to your struggles.  



Comments

Donate

Popular posts from this blog

TVJ Schools' Challenge Quiz Prizes

The buzzer ignited the excitement in my veins for many years. I grew up watching TVJ Schools' Challenge Quiz and I saw it as a means of once again unifying the nation through friendly rivalry. As the years rolled by things started to change and the blatant favouritism could be seen coming from our television screens. The power of some of the more prominent high schools would allow them to end up in the winning circle. Apart from the fun element turning into some what of a war each year, what has changed drastically is the awarding of the various prizes at the end. Throughout the years we could expect to see students from some of the participating schools coming forward to collect their various prizes at the end of the competition. We looked forward to hearing what the students would be awarded for their hard workout throughout the season. Apparently, this was deemed to be too much of a problem to broadcast so it was eliminated completely. All we see now is the winner collecti

This World

  A world where people don't love you if you can't supply them with all the material things they need. A world where people marry just to get citizenship in a country. A world where the most educated aren't the ones given the best of jobs. A world where the television and internet are left to teach our children values. A world where the leaders of the church spend more money on church buildings tha n feeding the poor. A world where children receive guns before they receive a book to read. A world where in one half of the world people fight for an apple to eat while in the other we pick,choose and refuse what to eat. A world where we cry when we have no new clothes or shoes but some have never felt the warmth of a shirt and pants on their cold flesh. A world where politicians get increases in pay while the citizens are placed on wage freeze for years. A world where everybody proclaims they can't trust anybody. A world where girls value are always occupied with their look

Feeling Behind in Life & Not Having it Together in my 30's